Wednesday 14 April 2010

POTD: Cervidae Country



Here's another wildlife painting. On a drive along the back roads from Tiverton to Bickleigh (in Devon) I came across this deer roaming wild in a field, I stopped the car and sneaked into the field staying as close to the hedge as possible and managed to grab some reference photos. There turned out to be a group of 5 deer in the end, and it was quite comical watching each one appear from over the brow of the hill and then see them eventually realise I was there at which point they scampered off.

This painting is one of several I've worked on recently with a low width to height ratio (this one is 12" wide and 48" high) and I'm enjoying the challenges of composing scenes within these constraints. Here I've placed the horizon very high in the picture and painted the background landscape in cool pale colours to place it distant from the deer. What you may not have noticed at first glance is the rabbit hiding in plain sight!


No comments:

Post a Comment